What is PHP
According to its official documentary
PHP is a popular general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited to web development.
Though some online tutorial writers defines php as
- A programming language that allows web developers to create dynamic content that interacts with databases.
- PHP is a server scripting language, and a powerful tool for making dynamic and interactive Web pages.
In this article I will define PHP as
A Scripting language which is an acronym for Hypertext Preprocessor that Fast, flexible and pragmatic for web designing especially a dynamic web or mobile integrated app to manipulate the database also can be used within HTML at will.
The name PHP was confusing since its acronym PHP did not conjure with the name (said to be recursive initialism) therefore we discovered that the PHP was originally the acronym of Personal Home Page
Php was originally designed by Rasmus Lerdorf in the year 1995 with the help of Andi Gutmans and Zeev Suraski
Features of PHP
- Php accepts to be embedded in HTML
- PHP syntax draws upon C, Java, and Perl, and is easy to learn
- PHP is Fast, flexible and pragmatic
- PHP can be run on numerous operating system (Unix System, macOS, Windows system, Cloud Computing Platforms)
- PHP is integrated with a number of popular databases, including MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Sybase, Informix, and Microsoft SQL Server.
Uses of PHP
Three main uses of PHP are
- Server-side scripting.
- Command line scripting.
- Writing desktop applications.
What you must know
To start learning PHP one must have 3 (three) solid knowledge below before proceeding
- Good understanding in computer handling
- Professional knowledge HTML
- A basic idea of MySQL and Database